In search of what's next

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

More critters



Seeing as I live in the country, all sorts of creatures are found to be creeping, crawling, walking, running, flying or just hanging around the yard. I found these 2 guys the same day last summer while getting ready to cut the grass.

The orange and white one, which at this point looks a little miffed about something, is a milk snake. Apparently, this is normal behavior for them: Coil, rear back, strike, wiggle their tail like a rattlesnake (just no rattles). Good bluff as I'd not seen one before and had to go research it to see what it was.

The other fellow is a ring neck snake. Pretty much looked like a black snake with a yellow band around the back of his head. At first, I thought he was a black snake that just had a dirty streak on him, until I picked it up and the color was rather permanent.

I've found other ones as well, black snakes, garter snakes, king snakes and a few others I haven't been able to identify as they got away too quickly. Just so you don't wonder, I turned them loose after snapping a few pics and making sure Oakley wouldn't bother them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home