In search of what's next

Friday, March 31, 2006

Democrats cause major economic downturn

Don't you feel like stepping out on a limb sometimes? There's excitement and auxhilaration! Then again, there's no limb to this. I'm on solid ground. Yes I truly believe the liberal democrats cause economic sorrow at every turn. (It's so they can boost their stupid communist hand out programs, if you were wondering.)

Anyway, what led me to write this? Read this article. It's about Microsoft and the EU fighting over the fines the dorks in the EU keep leveling at M$.

If for some odd reason, you've read any of my other rants, you'll notice that I do my share of picking on M$. I think for good reason. They blew their own horn and touted all these wonderful products, yet we still have serious problems with software that isn't stable, OS's that aren't stable, much less secure. So, in my opinion, they've earned some of the bad press they get.

However, there's a point where you begin to wonder about what is happening. Put yourself in a different pair of shoes for a moment and look at this 3rd person. I mean from the view that you aren't either a M$ shareholder or more likely, a desktop user.

M$ is only a business. Mind you a BIG one, but just a business. It's the American dream for a few people that started it out and one guy in particular. I don't have a problem with that. I think it's great that a kid had the idea to do this and look what it turned into. You can't hardly go anywhere or do anything any more without M$ being involved in one fashion or another.

What's the big deal? Those shareholders are making some good ROI. (Yay for ROI!) My problem here is not that they're making money, it's the way it hurts my job, my income and ultimately my life. Because M$ is in so much of our lives, anything that happens to them almost directly affects me monitarily.

You don't believe me? Read that article again and think about exactly who is paying those fines. It's not the shareholders, it's the customer base. Every company I know always passes their costs along to their customers in the form of sales price increases. M$ is not different.

Their cash cows are Windows and Office. That's where the fine money comes from. We're the ones paying that.

I bought a new laptop the other day and Dell wanted to put office on there for me. The problem was they didn't have the exact version I wanted available as an OEM install, so I had to buy another corporate one thru SA. I'm now buying office 2003 licenses, but we still run v2k. I won't switch until it won't install on whatever OS the machines come with. But I can legally run this copy under that license.

I admit there was a version offered that had the particular suite of programs we use, but it had other stuff I won't support, so I won't install it. The confusing part is the OEM one with more programs costs less than 300$, but the SA version was 550$. (No wonder people bootleg this stuff.) That's also another reason I won't upgrade until I absolutely have to. I have to keep buying the software over and over and over.

I bought a pkg one time called Aldus Pagemaker 1.0. It came with the windows 1.0 runtime. I got my next upgrade to pagemaker and it came with windows runtime 2.0. Then the next upgrade came out and it required windows 3.o, but they didn't include it any more because I had to buy the pkg. I had to pay 25$ for each pagemaker upgrade, then at the 3rd one, I had to shell out 50$ for windows. I thought that was a little extreme, but I paid it because of the new options offered in pagemaker.

Since then, every friggin upgrade of windows has cost more. 3.1 was higher, 95 was higher, 98 was higher and on and on. Not counting my work budget, but what I've personally paid for M$ products over the years could buy me a nice mid size sedan now or maybe a nice room addition onto my house.

This is all the liberal democrats fault. Laugh if you wanna, but it is. Janet Reno and Bill Clinton started it and showed the EU how to do it, so they did it too.

Sppssst. Pass it on. Here's a big cash cow of a business that provide a bigger cash cow for under the table campaign contributions and other budget adjustments. Because of this, I stay in a house longer and drive a car longer than I might normally do because of the stupid way successful businesses get punished today. And if I remember Econ101, that hurts the economy.

Do your part and vote them out of office.

Please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home